Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Sour (Pickled) Bean Sprouts (Dua Gia)

3 scallions, both green & white parts, cut crosswise into 5 pieces
1 carrot, peeled and sliced lengthwise with peeler
1 lb mung bean sprouts, rinsed and picked through
3 C water
1 T salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1 T white vinegar

**ALTERNATIVE INGREDIENT LIST**
3 C mung bean sprouts, rinsed and picked through
3 C water
1 T salt
1 tsp sugar
1/4 C white vinegar


Boil the water, together with the salt, sugar, and vinegar, until dissolved and combined.  Cool to room temperature.

Put vegetables in a large jar or bowl and cover with cooled water.  

Allow to stand unrefrigerated for three days, then transfer to the refrigerator, where the mixture will keep for 3 weeks or longer.

**First ingredient list is from Recipe Hound.  Second ingredient list is from Vietnamese Face.**

I made this recipe using the first set of ingredients several months ago.  It was so good.  I actually didn't make it all three days of the sprouts sitting on the counter before I started eating them.  The kids liked them too.

I'm making the second set tonight.  I found this one because I didn't have any scallions or carrots.  I will let you know how it turns out.

No comments: